Welcome to the Spring 2021 virtual loco building room.
Barry Norman has produced a series of articles on the subject of building, refining and detailing locomotive kits. Based around the construction of a 7mm J15 kit from Connoisseur Models:
- Final touches to the Avonside 0-4-4T No 31 – Steve Duckworth continues the project he started for us at the Autumn 2020 event.
- Steve Duckworth turns his hand to scratch building with a pair of SDJR 4-4-0’s numbers 16 and 77.
- Understanding soldering – David Brandreth tells us all we need to know when it comes to soldering our kits
- The recording of Tim Watson’s workbench presentation from the Saturday is now available. This has been split into three parts, two of which include locomotive building.
- Building a 3D Printed Drewry – Chris Hopper describes his build of a Drewry Diesel from a 3D printed kit.
- Alternatives to Mashima motors – with the supply of Mashima motors becoming more difficult to obtain Mick Moignard lists a few alternative suppliers.
- AA3 Toad – Mark Riddoch describes his build of a Frogmore Confederacy kit for a Great Western Toad AA3 with steel veranda.
Mick Moignard gives a couple of presentations on the topic of improvements that can help in building locomotives:
- Building Locomotives NMRA BR convention 2014 – Mick presents some general techniques and ideas to help improve your locomotive building projects.
- Building Better Locomotives – this presentation is more focused on how to build locomotives that are more maintainable and can be more easily fitted with DCC.
You may also be interested in the loco room content from our Virtual Autumn Weekend in 2020.