A guest topic for this virtual Spring Weekend; David Wager has provided us with a number of articles on the subject of creating your own etches. Whether you simply want to create some detailing parts in brass or nickel silver or you want to create a kit of your own design, David presents the information you need to get started in this area. Our thanks to David and to Geoff Baxter for his permission to reproduce the following.
- Introduction To Metal Etching – What is metal etching, how is it done and what are the practical steps involved.
- Metal Etching Principles and Rules – We move on to the more practical issues involved in etching and how the material behaves.
- Etch Drawing Preparation – A discussion on the topic of how to produce your drawing to be etched.
- Etch Drawing Preparation for Model Etch – A more targeted review of the steps to take if using Model Etch to produce your etches. However this may be more widely applicable.
- A Practical Example – An etched bridge for Little Bytham. The remainder of this build is documented in the Buildings & Structures Room.