The soldering desk in the locomotive building room. A collection of demonstrations, hints and tips on the subject of soldering metal kits. We cover both conventional soldering and resistance soldering.
- Brass Soldering – A demonstration of soldering brass components, in this case a bearing.
- Laminating – A demonstration of laminating coupling rods.
- Controlling Solder – Tony Wright shows us how to control the way solder moves when soldering on the splashers of the Alan Gibson 4F.
- Seam Soldering – Tony Wright demonstrates soldering a seam when adding a valance to the footplate of an Alan Gibson 4F.
- White Metal Soldering – Tony Wright demonstrates white metal soldering.
- Resistance Soldering – David Brandreth’s demonstration of resistance soldering from Virtual ScaleForum 2020.
- Making a chisel – David Brandreth describes how he makes chisels for the purposes of cleaning up solder.
- Chemical Blackening as a Solder Mask – Tony Gee’s tip for no soldering everything solid.
- The Chemistry of Soldering – Bob Alderman delves into the chemistry that binds our models together.
- Soldering by Bob Alderman – A comprehensive guide that covers the selection of soldering irons, the right solder to use, preparing your model for soldering and the actual technique for making successful joints.
- Cleaning brass and nickel silver – Although not soldering as such, preparation of your material is one of the foundations of a good solder joint.
- Soldering Simplified by Tim Watson – The CME of Copenhagen Fields and well known 2mm finescale modeller Tim Watson tells us his techniques for soft soldering.
- Spirit of Resistance by David Brandreth – A comprehensive article by David Brandreth on the subject of resistance soldering. There is also a video demonstration first made available at the virtual ScaleForum event.
- RSU by Bob Alderman – Resistance soldering is becoming more popular amongst the modellers at Missenden weekends, here Bob gives the benefits of his knowledge on the subject